Your biology teacher had to stick to a curriculum and might have left out some interesting facts about plants.
Well, I bet you didn’t know the following interesting facts about our photosynthesising friends:
- Some plants are CARNIVORES which means they eat living moving things like insects and spiders. A good example is the Venus Flytrap
- Bamboo can grow up to a metre A DAY. Insane.
- More than 2,000 plant types are used by humans to make food. A salad can be much more than lettuce and tomato
- We’ve identified about 200,000 different plant species, as humans, and we keep finding new ones
- Brazil is named after a tree
- Caffeine is the coffee plant’s protection against insects
- An apple can float on water because it is 25% air
- Bananas make you feel happy because they contain a natural chemical that releases happiness chemicals in your brain
- Talking about bananas, the name comes from an Arabic word which means “finger”
- There’s a type of grass in Africa that’s more than 4 metres high – elephant grass
- It takes an oak tree 50 years before it produces a single acorn
- Eating too many onions make you sleepy
- Eat potato skins – most of the vitamins are found in the skin
There you have it – isn’t nature interesting? Got any more facts to share? Comment below and let us know!