Looking for a homeschooling program?
Are you a homeschooler interested in the British curriculum (Cambridge International) for International GCSE or A Levels? CambriLearn is perfect for homeschoolers.
Click here to find out more specifically about: homeschooling in South Africa.Enquire Today
Why Cambridge for homeschooling?
If you look at the benefits that come with studying a Cambridge International course (IGCSE, AS or A levels) you’ll understand why it has become such a sought after qualification across the world:
- International recognition: the benefit of a Cambridge International qualification is that it is accepted by major universities across the world – this opens a world of study in top-ranking institutions and an excellent career path
- Assessments: Cambridge International exams or assessments are a great test of true understanding and knowledge of a subject and are fairly administered and marked
- Cambridge-trained teachers: all Cambridge-trained teachers are given ongoing professional development and assessment to ensure the highest standards in teaching and teaching methodologies are maintained
- International curriculum: studying a Cambridge course gives students access to a global perspective and broad understanding of a subject
- Global community: Cambridge International students are part of a growing and supportive learning community
Next, let’s take a look at:
Why choose CambriLearn for homeschooling?
CambriLearn was founded on the principle of maintaining the highest standard in learning and we take great pride in the calibre of our teachers. We believe this is what sets us apart and makes CambriLearn a fantastic option for Cambridge International homeschoolers.
- Access to full-time Cambridge-trained teachers
- Marked assignments that are returned within a maximum of one week of submission
- Mock exams that help students prepare for the real thing
- Superb online learning material available at any time on any Internet-connected device (including video lessons, reading material and audio-visual content)
These benefits make CambriLearn ideal for families interested in homeschooling.Enquire Today
Let’s now look at:
Why do parents homeschool?
We talked to a South African homeschooling mom, Coleen Lotter, about her experience as a homeschooler. Watch as she talks about her experience, the reasons she chose homeschooling and the pros and cons of homeschooling:
There are a number of reasons to homeschool your children. Each family is different and as homeschooling has become one of the most popular means of education, let’s dig deeper into some of the reasons for homeschooling.
The reasons why parents choose to homeschool may include:
- Religious convictions or needs
- Parents are unhappy with the quality of the current education system and cannot afford a better school
- Spend more time with their kids and strengthen their family bond
- Learning, physical and mental challenges
- Flexibility and personalisation
- Direct parental involvement with their child’s learning
- Flexible schedule
- Broader course and subject selection
- High cost of private schools
- Opportunity to challenge gifted children
Some of the other reasons why parents homeschool include the falling standards in traditional schools, concerns around safety, a lack of space in public schools, the rising costs of private schooling and in many cases what parents perceive as a “failed curriculum”.
As homeschooling has grown, many homeschooled students are entering the work force or universities in growing numbers which is in itself a testament to the success of homeschooling.Enquire Today
Benefits of homeschooling your children
This video is an interesting window into the views some parents have about homeschooling and their personal experiences:
Some of the benefits of homeschooling include:
- Excellent education: students who have homeschooled perform better on standardised tests and are therefore sought after for tertiary education
- Great teacher-to-student ratio: homeschooled students are treated as individuals and are not lost in a busy classroom. This individual attention nurtures each child’s potential
- Custom, personalised learning: every student is unique and homeschooling allows students to benefit from an approach that isn’t one size fits all but allows children to grow at their own pace and to develop their weaknesses into strengths
- Homeschooling learning material is of a much higher quality and can be chosen based on each child’s needs
CambriLearn offers fantastic learning material and support from full-time Cambridge-trained teachers – making CambriLearn a homeschooler’s dream!Enquire Today
Homeschooling myths – dispelled!
- You need a teaching degree to homeschool your children: this myth is false. The CambriLearn learning program is perfect for parents with ZERO teaching experience. Our professional teachers support and guide your child every step of the way
- Homeschooled children lack social skills: this common myth is completely untrue! Homeschooled children actually have more time to spend on extra-curricular activities where they can socialize with others – traditional schools have wasted time between classes, at lunch breaks and during study hall periods. Homeschooling gives students intense focus on academics during schooling time, and then free time to take part in other activities in a controlled environment
- Homeschoolers are religious fanatics: again, false! Some parents may choose to homeschool for religious reasons but that is no reason to assume that all homeschoolers are religious fanatics. As shown above, there are a huge number of reasons to homeschool
- I don’t have time to do homeschooling: not true! CambriLearn offers a set program that gives you the structure you need as a parent. This means we’ve done the work for you so you don’t need to spend hours planning a curriculum and creating study plans
- Homeschoolers can’t get into university: completely untrue. A homeschooled student with a Cambridge International qualification is highly sought after by the world’s top universities
Successful people who were homeschooled
Take a look at this list of celebrities, politicians, sport stars, scientists and successful business people who were homeschooled:
- Theodore Roosevelt
- The Jonas Brothers
- Thomas Edison
- Serena and Venus Williams
- Franklin D Roosevelt
- Justin Bieber
- Condoleeza Rice
- LeAnn Rimes
- Jennifer Love Hewit
- Ray Kroc
And let’s have a look at some famous parents who homeschool:
- Will Smith
- Kelly Preston
- John Travolta
- Kim and Kanye West
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
- Tom Cruise
- Mayim Bialik
- Gwyneth Paltrow
If you’re a homeschooler, you’re in great company!
Next steps: how do I get started with homeschooling?
We’d love to chat to you and find out more about your specific homeschooling needs. Hit the button below and send us an enquiry – we’ll get right back to you with advice from one of our experienced and trained education consultants.Enquire Today
How to homeschool your child successfully
There are a number of important factors when it comes to homeschooling success. Ensuring a proper education for your children is obviously one of the most important responsibilities for parents and when homeschooling, a lot can be learned from those who have done it successfully before.
Discipline is important: keeping to a regular schedule and staying focused is important for parents as well as students. Try to maintain a very structured approach: stick to the syllabus, create a visible timetable and have a routine.
It’s important to get through the learning material in the time allocated. Some parents can put too much pressure on their children and expect them to do more than they are reasonably capable of. This is demoralising and wastes your time. Rather set achievable targets, take on the right number of subjects and maintain a firm but fair approach.
Get involved with local homeschooling communities. There are many homeschooling groups on Facebook and here you will learn the tips and techniques that really work, and you’ll also receive the motivation as a homeschooling parent by being part of a group of parents with similar challenges and successes.
If you’re just getting started, do your research and find out as much about homeschooling as possible. Read, watch YouTube videos and be part of online discussions. Also take the time to figure out your own teaching approach and how you will fit it into your family lifestyle. Remember that each child is different so you may need to adapt your teaching style to each child!
Also, be sure to check out the legalities of homeschooling in your area – each country has its own legal prescriptions when it comes to homeschooling and you don’t want to fall foul of the law.
Balance their time! Remember, your homeschooled child is not in a traditional school setting surrounded by other children, so make sure they have plenty of interaction with others through extra-curricular and social activities.
Plan your curriculum. This is where CambriLearn helps homeschooling parents – we’ve done the work for you and your child will have access to the Cambridge International syllabus presented and taught by full-time Cambridge-trained teachers. It doesn’t mean you can just put them in front of a laptop and hope for the best – academic success is a partnership between the student, the teacher and you the parent.
Set up: this is the fun part of homeschooling where you get the stationery, supplies, notebooks, textbooks and learning material you need. Remember, with CambriLearn you need access to the Internet since all material is online.
Assessing progress: remember to keep track of how your child’s understanding of a topic is progressing. CambriLearn offers marked assignments and mock exams that help you evaluate progress and understanding. These are set and marked by Cambridge-trained teachers and feedback is given within a maximum of one week.
Are you ready to get started?
We’d love to hear from you and get you set up with CambriLearn homeschooling – one of our education consultants is standing by to help you today!Enquire Today